21 November 2012

To blog or not to blog....

I debated about whether to create this blog.

Is it too much like bragging about all the "good things" I'm doing?  (Or appearing to do....)  Being recognized for it isn't the reason we engage in volunteerism, after all.  (Or it shouldn't be....)

Good works are a calling for me - the reason we lead our lives: to help others, support one another, and generally to leave the world better than when we found it.

So maybe I should just do some good works and not blog about it.

Then I also pondered conversations I've had that involve one or more of the following themes:
-That sounds great, but....
-I'd help if I could, but....
-I'm just one person, can I make a difference?
-My life is just too full.
-I don't have anything to give.

It occurred to me that at least some other people might be attempting to become more generous, to do good works on a tight schedule, and that maybe if we talk about it - if we support each other - if we brainstorm together - we can do more.
But avoiding bragging about these good works still seems like a good idea to me; so I'll be making this blog semi-anonymous.  I say "semi" because I assume the first readers will be people who already know me; but I do say "anonymous" because I think this topic and the results of the actions described are more important than my individual identity in this context.

It also occurred to me that if I'm so very busy, how can I possibly maintain a blog?
That's a really interesting question.  I hope to discover the answer along with you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you did make this blog! You're one of the most interesting people I know (of course I'm biaised) and your writing is so engaging so I know others will like it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are interesting and valued! (And moderated by TBV.)